Sunday, February 2, 2014

Books

Books.

That's all I have to say about the matter. Just...books.


Until later...




Nah, I'm kidding. But really, books are amazing.

I first started reading when I was about 7, and I've been hooked ever since. It's one of the contributing factors that lead to my start in writing, and it's probably the one thing that I've invested more time in than Sims. (*Gasp!*)

My reading habits have changed a bit over the years. When I was younger, I would go to the library, borrow six books, and have them all read within a week and a half. Now, I've basically abandoned the library and resorted to buying all of my books--something my bookshelf loves but my wallet resents me for. My pitiful reasoning for this is that I don't read quickly enough to borrow from the library. I still read a lot, sure, but sometimes I take a good week and a half to read one book; forget the six I used to be able to finish.

The solution to this is simple, of course. "Just only borrow one book at a time!" you say.

It is physically impossible for me to walk into the library and not come out with six books. It's almost as impossible as walking into Chapters and spending less than $100. (I joke...kind of.) So I borrow six books, read half of one (maybe), and then return them all and borrow new ones.

Whereas, if I buy my books, I simply pick one and take my time to read it. Sometimes I finish it in a week, sometimes less, sometimes more. Sometimes it takes me a month to finish, and other times I read it cover-to-cover in less than 24 hours. I would love to start going to the library again (and I'm sure my wallet would love that, too); but I keep telling myself to finish the unread books on my shelf, first. Before I can finish reading what books I have, I manage to go out and buy more. It's an endless cycle.

My excuses are pathetic, I know. In the end it just comes down to the fact that I enjoy collecting books. Someday, I want to have a whole room dedicated to them--or at least a small little book nook. (You can blame Pinterest for this desire.) I want to be able to curl into a window seat (another desire of mine) as the rain pours down outside and just read, for hours on end.

But maybe I could lay off the purchases, at least a little bit. Before my wallet plots my murder.


Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...