Friday, March 27, 2015

The One Where I'm a Princess

I've always been a big lover of fairy tales. You probably figured, what with my intense love for all things Disney, but I've always been drawn to the magic, the happy endings, and the abundance of possibilities that fairy tales posess. I am 20 years old, and I still dream of becoming a princess. I'm not ashamed of this--the heart wants what the heart wants.

So you can imagine when, the first trailer dropped for the new Cinderella movie back in November, I was ecstatic. I watched that trailer so many times that I have the darn thing practically memorized, and counted down the days eagerly until the movie's release. March 13th came and went, and by the end of the following week, I had seen the movie not once, but twice. (And totally willing to go see a third time, I might add.)

I loved it. Completely and totally, absolutely loved. It. The romance and the magic just made my heart sing in a way that hasn't happened in the longest time. The message of "Have courage and be kind" is one that has stuck in my mind ever since I watched it for the first time, and is now written in numerous places around my bedroom.

The first time I watched the movie, about halfway through the third act, I noticed that my ckeeks were starting to hurt. I had spent so much of the movie smiling that it was now starting to cause me physical pain...and I couldn't stop. Even if I wanted to, I was physically unable to stop smiling. So I continued smiling, aching cheeks at all, through the end of the movie and for the following 10-15 minutes after leaving the theatre. Those same 10-15 minutes were spent humming songs from the movie, and after I got home I spent my time twirling around my bedroom as though I was a princess--because that's what the movie made me feel like. A princess.

I've seen Cinderella twice, and both times, I left the theatre feeling like I could do anything. I left feeling like the world was at my feet, like anything I set out to do would be possible, if only I have courage and be kind. I've always believed that magic exists, in small forms, so long as we choose to believe in it--but this made me believe all over again.

In the few short days this movie has been in my life, it has become many things; it has quickly become one of my favourite movies of all time (like seriously it probably beat out Frozen AND Y'ALL KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE THAT MOVIE). It has become my go-to source for magic and romance and just every day happiness. But more than that, it's become my inspiration.

As I write this, music from the movie is playing through my speakers. Even as these words exit my mind through my fingers on the keyboard, a full week after seeing this movie, I still feel invincible. Everything I felt when watching that movie comes flooding back, reminding me that yes: I am a princess. And as a princess, I can do anything.

Here's the deal: over the last few months, I've felt stuck in a rut. To get myself out of that rut, I've made a list of things that I want to do to help break me out of my comfort zone. I made a blog, Where the Magic Happens, that will document all of my experiences with said challenge.

That's the short version. If you want the longer version, to see what this whole thing is really about, then I encourage you to visit the blog and check it out. This challenge is definitely on the more personal side, but I'm very excited to share it with all of you!


Have you ever watched a movie that's made you feel as happy as Cinderella made me? Let me know in the comments!

Until later,
- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...