Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Review: Miss Mayhem

WARNING: The following blog posts contain spoilers for the novel under review, ranging from mild to heart wrenchingly major. If you have yet to read this novel and dislike being spoiled, leave now and return upon completion.

If you HAVE read this novel (or just don't give a crap about spoilers), then continue on.

But don't say I didn't warn you.


~~


HELLO, FRIENDS! Quick disclaimer: the following review is actually a sequel. So obviously, if you've read this week's book, you've also read it's predecessor as well. I would also recommend reading my review of said book, which went up last week!


THIS WEEK'S BOOK: Miss Mayhem, by Rachel Hawkins!


THE PLOT-Y BIT


It's been months since the disaster that was Cotillion, and Harper is finally getting used to the current situation. David's visions are well under control--thanks to a little magical help from their new mage, Ryan--their relationship is thriving, and Bee has even returned from her mysterious disappearance.

But then the Ephors show up, with a sudden change of heart--they don't want to kill David, they want to use him. In order to do so, Harper needs to go through her own Paladin trials. If she succeeds, she'll be more powerful than ever.


But if she fails, she won't just lose David or her Paladin status--she'll lose her life.


THE REVIEW-Y BIT


I finished this book in five hours. Five. Hours. I started it at approximately eight one morning, and even after factoring in several leisurely breaks, I still finished it around one that afternoon. I liked a lot of things about it. I had a few problems with it. But it's been so long since a book has been so riveting that it made me read it in such a marathon, so either way...Hawkins, you did good!


As mentioned briefly in my Rebel Belle review, this is where those cutesy euphemisms started to get real annoying--especially with Ryan playing a more central part in the story, and thus providing a bit more in the cursing department. And the humour, too, seemed a bit more toned down than it was in the first one. That, thought, could easily be written off to the story having a more serious tone--which it definitely does. So for that, I'll forgive it.


Honestly, though, I probably would have forgiven it, anyway, for the asbolutely ADORABLENESS that was Harper and David's relationship. Right off the bat we're treated to the GLORIOUS, HAPPY, FLUFFY-NESS that was their relationship. MY SHIPPING HEART! IT THRIVES!


(Until shit hit the fan, anyway. I'll take what I can get.)


I felt like some of the conflicts from the first book--Bee's disappearance, for one, and Blythe as an antagonist--were resolved almost too quickly. I understand that they were solved in order to make room for the conflicts that would arise this time around, but I felt like they could have been stretched out a little more. Not to mention that Blythe's character probably could have been used for more than just the one installment. 

But the thing that I loved--actually and completely loved--about this book was the way Hawkins addressed that all of the major characters are kids. Barely seventeen, still stuck in high school, totally at the mercy of their hormones children. This is a fact that I think many YA books overlook or neglect, and I loved how this book addressed it, particularly in Harper's confession scene with her Aunt Jewel. As much as Harper wants the situation to be in control--and, in the meanwhile, probably lying to herself about the true reality of it all--it's not. And it shouldn't be expected to, because the fate of the all-powerful Oracle and probably the world is in the hands of a bunch of love-triangled teenagers.


And it's absolutely fantastic.


That ending...my GOD, that ending! The emotions were portrayed and provoked so well that I found myself emotionally out of commission for at least a few hours.


That being said, I still have a couple big complaints about it; namely, the climax. There was so much going on and I almost felt like some stuff wasn't very well explained. Maybe I was reading it too fast, and all of my problems will be solved once I give it another run-through, but by the time the resolution rolled around I was very lost about the "why's" and the "how's" that made everything happen the way it did.


And of course, we can't end this review without a bit of commentary on the character development! Just like in the first book, Harper's development was slow and steady, expanding on her progress from the first one and still leaving room for the finale. I felt like this story provided something different for her development than the first one. Rebel Belle focused more on the acceptance of her desitny, whereas this one went deeper and focused more on her sedire to keep everything under her own control. The contrast we super interesting and really nice to see!


The ending, as well, proved to be a nice, satisfying conclusion for her development, too--as heartbreaking as it was. Harper's decision to let David go and honour his wish to try and return to a normal life was probably one of the most mature things she done to date. She's not giving up on him--I'm absolutely confident of that--but she recognizes that there's nothing she can do for him right now, and choosing to let him go until she can do something.

All in all, I'm super pumped to see where the finale takes us! NEXT YEAR JUST CAN'T COME FAST ENOUGH.

~~

THE STAR-Y BIT

Any book read as quickly as this one deserves an immediate five stars, no questions asked.

~~

Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...